Thursday, September 20, 2012

Fashion Icon


This week at Project Run & Play is Fashion Icon week. I am always inspired by women's fashion and I love to make clothes for my 5 year old based off what I love in women's fashion. (I talked about how I create mini fashion here!) Zooey Deschanel is the perfect fashion icon for mini wear because her clothes always have a touch of youth and fun. She's totally classy though at the same time with a bit of vintage thrown in there. I'm excited for New Girl to start because it's funny, but also because I can't wait to see what she is going to wear!

Instead of designing my own look based off of Zooey, which takes a certain type of brain power, I made a replica of one of her dresses that was just screaming Drew's name. I didn't change any of the design elements because (a) Drew doesn't own anything like it and (b) it was pretty much perfect as is. If I had the will power I would have done Drew's hair and styled the dress with some black tights (like Zooey would wear). But since I seem to be lacking in both brain and will power, here's what we have...



I love this dress! The navy blue is a cotton poplin, which is a fabric I highly recommend for anyone wanting to step outside of the "quilting cotton" fabric zone. I started sewing clothes using the cute patterned "quilting cotton" because you can find the cutest prints and because it was the only material I felt comfortable with. This poplin sews together just as easily as the quilting cotton though, but it also has a bit of stretch which is nice for kid's clothing and it has the perfect weight and feel to it. Joann's carries a range of colors of poplin in their bottomweights section that is really nice quality. I use it for this dress!



I love the piping and the front pleat. I need to incorporate these things more when my designing brain power gets turned back on.



Here's the back which did take a bit of designing thought since I couldn't see the back of Zooey's dress. I just carried the v-neck and piping through the back and zipped it up the middle. An exposed zipper would not have felt right with this dress. No, sometimes it is better to keep it simple.



Pretty soon those pockets are going to be full of squinkees and zinkies and who knows what.


And this is why I love PR&P and am going out of my way to sew along this season. Because there is no way I would have ever sewn this dress, which might be my favorite yet, if it weren't for the theme, challenge, and community of it all. I lack motivation otherwise :).

13 comments:

  1. I love the back piping and the pockets! Great work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it!! I'll take one in my size too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE that you chose Zooey and that your take is so different than Kate's! Really great. Glad you're using PR&P as motivation - I still haven't really sewn along much, it never seems to line up for me schedule-wise. But yay, I hope to see more from you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. perfect replica !
    your daughter has beautiful long hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I want to see a neckline tutorial. Glad I'm not the only one who can't get enough of sewing along!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely ADORE this! Love, love, love it! And love that so many people find Zooey so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job and the details in the back seem just right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a wonderful design! Im a sucker for navy and piping combined.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy the shop is open!! Got some lovely things that sound great-thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! Featured it here: http://www.eleganceandelephants.com/2012/10/inspiring-knock-offs.html

    ReplyDelete